Teaching and Learning Awards Call for Nominations
The 2019/20 Teaching and Learning Awards call for nominations is now open.
The College of Social and Applied Human Sciences (CSAHS)’ Teaching and Learning Awards recognize outstanding contributions to teaching and learning excellence by instructors and graduate teaching assistants within the College. Each year a call for nominations is distributed to the College community, and nominees are asked to submit a full application if they would like to be considered for a teaching award. The College offers four teaching awards annually, including the Teaching and Learning Excellence Award, Teaching and Learning Excellence Award for Early Career Faculty, Teaching and Learning Excellence Award for Sessional Instructors, and the Graduate Teaching Assistant Teaching and Learning Excellence Award. The CSAHS’ Hub for Teaching and Learning Excellence Advisory Committee selects the recipients for each category.
All members of the university community are encouraged to submit nominations for the annual College Teaching and Learning Awards. The nomination package must include a completed nomination form and a one-page letter in support of the nomination. The letter of support should emphasize the major contributions to teaching and learning by the nominee.
Submit nomination forms electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The nomination deadline for the 2019/20 Teaching and Learning Awards has been extended to Friday, August 28, 2020 in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In selecting recipients for the College’s Teaching and Learning awards, the Committee is especially interested in instructors who have made outstanding contributions, during the past five years in any, or all, of the following areas:
- Effective Curriculum Development and Alignment
- Undergraduate and graduate curriculum development
- Effective methods of assessment based on best pedagogical approaches
- Demonstrated alignment between course, program, and institution learning outcomes
- Innovation in Teaching and Learning
- Innovative methods of teaching and learning/teaching and learning innovations
- Educational material development
- Leadership and Mentoring
- Commitment to professional development in teaching and learning
- Evidence of teaching and learning leadership
- Fostering teaching and learning excellence in others
- Dedicated commitment in undergraduate and/or graduate mentoring
- Teaching and learning awards
- Scholarly Contributions and Dissemination
- Scholarship in teaching and learning
- Teaching and learning dissemination and knowledge mobilization
- Commitment to Professional Development in Teaching and Learning
- Presenting and attending teaching and learning conferences
- Participating in professional development opportunities related to teaching and learning
Teaching and Learning Excellence Award
Full-time, part-time, contractually limited, and sessional instructors are eligible for this award. This award recognizes teaching excellence and innovation by CSAHS instructors.
Teaching and Learning Excellence Award for Early Career Faculty
Contractually limited, and tenure track faculty at the level of Assistant Professor, are eligible for this award. This award recognizes teaching excellence and innovation by early career full-time or part-time instructors in CSAHS.
Teaching and Learning Excellence Award for Sessional Faculty
Sessional instructors are eligible for this award. This award recognizes teaching excellence and innovation by sessional instructors in CSAHS.
Graduate Teaching Assistant Teaching and Learning Excellence Award
Graduate teaching assistants are eligible for this award. This award recognizes outstanding contributions during made by a graduate teaching assistant to undergraduate or graduate education in one or more of these areas:
- Commitment to professional development in teaching and learning
- Classroom/lab teaching and learning
- Effective grading and assessment
- Preparation and support for distance education
- Contribution to the achievement of learning outcomes
- Preparation of teaching and learning materials
- Other areas of teaching
Terms and Conditions
All teaching award nominees must be members of a department within the College of Social and Applied Human Sciences. Full-time, part-time, contractually limited, and sessional instructors, as well as graduate teaching assistants are eligible and must not have received this award more than once within a three-year period.
Instructor award recipients will receive a commemorative certificate and an award of $1000 to be used for a teaching-related purpose. Graduate teaching assistants will receive a commemorative certificate and an award of $750. Decisions will be made by the CSAHS Hub for Teaching and Learning Excellence Advisory Committee. Teaching awards will be formally presented at the annual CSAHS Recognition Reception.
Following the nomination deadline, the Associate Dean (Academic) will contact all eligible nominees. Nominees who allow their nomination to go forward will be asked to provide supplementary material. Awards will be announced in late June each year.
A fillable application form will be provided to nominees. The only additional documents to be submitted with the application form are the letters of support of the nominee. The completed package will include:
- Nomination letter (the ADA Office will add this letter to the nominee’s application submitted)
- A two-page cover letter documenting teaching and learning accomplishments within the past year related to the outstanding areas of contributions detailed above (please attach selective supporting evidence up to a maximum of 10 pages)
- A teaching and learning statement or philosophy (1 page maximum)
- Teaching focused curriculum vitae (last 5 years; 5 pages maximum)
- Letters of support from current or former students, and/or others familiar with contributions of the nominee (maximum of 5 letters, each 1 page maximum)
Confidentiality of Information
Members of the CSAHS’ Hub for Teaching and Learning Excellence Advisory Committee will treat the nomination file as confidential except that, at the discretion of the Chair of the committee, selected information in the file may be cited at the awards presentation and in publicity material. Nomination files will be accessible to the CSAHS’ Hub for Teaching and Learning Excellence Advisory Committee until after the winner has been announced.
College Teaching Awards Committee
The College’s Hub for Teaching and Learning Excellence Advisory Committee is responsible for establishing the award guidelines, for reviewing all applications submitted, and for deciding the winners of the four available annual awards. Applications will be reviewed using the rubric included in the nominee’s application form.